Saturday, March 24, 2012

Iguazu Falls

Second largest waterfall at Iguazu
I’ve never been to Niagara Falls, but from what I’ve heard, Iguazu makes it look like a leaky faucet.

I left Mendoza on Monday, and spent the next 30 hours, minus a brief layover in BA, on busses heading to Puerto Iguazu.  It was for the sole purpose of watching water fall off a cliff…  I really hoped it would be worth it.

Everyone I’d met along the way had assured me that Iguazu falls was really amazing, and worth the trip, no matter how far.  I’d have to say there were right on. 

Iguazu Falls is located right in the narrow boarder where Brazil and Argentina meet.  This makes for an interesting development between two rival nations, as each claims to have the better side.  Though from what I heard, yes only from people in Argentina, Argentina has the better side, and everything you can see from Brazil you can also see from Argentina.

Most tourists spend one or two days on the Argentinean side, and then migrate to the Brazilian side for a final day, however, for an American it requires a travel visa and more than $100 just to cross to the other side for one day, so it would just be Argentina for me.

I was skeptical at first that I’d have enough to do for 2 full days, but there was plenty to check out at Iguazu.  I arrived early to hit up the train to the far side or the river, to see the largest falls, Devil’s Throat.







Then I went through the lower trail, which gave some great views of the 2nd largest falls, and the island in the middle.






Also, from there you can jump a boat and ride right up under some the waterfalls, getting incredibly wet.




There were also a whole bunch of animals along the way.



The place was huge, and I hit up a few other hikes, the upper trail which sits atop the 2nd largest falls, and a trail through the jungle away from the crowds.  Iguazu really was a great place with amazing views.  I’ve never seen anything remotely close to it.  

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to Iguazu Falls! In stats class I would look at pictures on my phone instead of pay attention to the lecture (bad idea, now that I think about it!)

    I can't wait to get all the insider info about where to visit when you're back!

    ReplyDelete