Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hostel in Santa Marta

The hostel in Santa Marta was my favorite of my short trip thus far, and I think I’ll be tough to beat.  Two floors with rooftop access, with the whole center cut out and open to the outside world.  It was basically a three story square donut.  The first floor had a very nice Mexican restaurant, whose chicken burrito with enchilada sauce was the first meal of the trip I had trouble finishing.  The walls were lined with dorm room doors encompassing a big swimming pool in the middle, with sign reading ‘beyond this point, clothing optional.’  The second floor had a massive bar, pool table, and yet more rooms.  Finally the rooftop terrace offered patio furniture, hammocks, and a cool evening breeze.

The night before I arrived it was Australia Day, which is basically the day that anyone living in Australia, is Australian, or has ever seen Australia on a map gets insanely drunk and celebrates.  The residents of this hostel were up until 5am, declined the option of clothing in the pool, so on this night things were much more on the mellow side.

I relaxed in hammocks on the roof, sipping on a cold Club Colombian, looking on the city from above, and talking to a few Australians and a German girl about their travels around South America.  

The next day I’ll be home for the while…

No comments:

Post a Comment