Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nothing relaxing about the start of this trip

As a general rule, the cheaper the flight you can find, the worse it's inevitably going to be.  In my effort to be economic, I was also going to be extremely hard on myself.  For a total of $320 one way, I was able to land in Cartagena, Colombia, and it only required two separate airlines, checking bags and getting through security twice, while 'sleeping' in the airport and spending over 24 hours traveling.  It was a terrible decision...

My momentary nervousness about the trip quickly turns to an adventure walking around the Fort Lauderdale airport (shuttles stop at 9pm), backpack in tow, sweating in the thick Florida air at 11pm, searching for the international terminal, and desperately hoping Spirit airlines will check me in, or at the very least not kick me out on the street.

I lucked out (somewhat), and got to spend my first dinner (bread, meat, and cheese) and accommodations (earplugs and my Hawaii towel) on the rock hard airport terminal floor.  Accompanying me was Haiti's entire national soccer team (woman's), that must have either won their match, or loved airports, because they were partying and crazy all night.

But aside from that airports aren't a terrible place to spend the night, they have free wi-fi, pretty warm and safe, and you'll never miss your flight.

Next stop, Colombia...

No comments:

Post a Comment