Friday, February 3, 2012

Learning Spanish

So I lied about the not speaking Spanish part a little, I took three years in high school, but it was so long ago I'd forgotten what ‘ser’ and ‘estar’ mean (they mean ‘to be’, basically the most common verb used in any language).  Plus, at the time, I paid more attention to the wall than my teacher, so not too sure much actually sunk in.  I figured now that I’m much more mature and have the strong motivation to learn, it'll be much much easier… however I neglected to consider the obvious fact, learning Spanish was terrible in high school, and it’s just as terrible now!

It’s not that it actually sucks, or that it’s really that hard (for my purpose at least), it’s more that there are beaches and bars and more expeditions that I could be undertaking, but instead I’m playing games a 4 year old native Spanish nina would destroy me at.  It’s like college, when you have a Friday final, but all your friends were done on Tuesday, so everyone you know is celebrating like crazy, but you're still trying to understand verb conjugation. 

But it is slowly helping, I’ve only had 2 lessons and Casa Holanda, but I’m picking up more words and phrases each day, and slowing beginning to understand what others are saying.

Yesterday, when I was reviewing for my lesson, this giant lizard crawled up the tree next to me.  Pretty awesome!!



3 comments:

  1. We stayed at Casa Holanda when we were there too! Excited to hear more about your travel journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible lizard. Love that. Great photos and writing about your experiences, Kevin. Looking forward to hearing about the adventures that await you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hearing about your adventures. Hope you got to see the superbowl today sunday.
    Happy birthday tomorrow .... you 27 year old dog

    ReplyDelete