Monday, February 13, 2012

Tayrona Parque

Saw this iguana on the walk into Tayrona
I’m in Tayrona Parque, ‘sleeping’ in a hammock, listening to the sounds of roosters crowing left and right, they really do make the worst sound in the world.  It’s like a person snoring, only earplugs don’t block it out, and in my mind it sounds like something dying… no wondering I can’t get any sleep on this trip.

I woke up in Taganga the morning after getting back from the Ciudad Perdida, just enough time for one good night’s sleep (I was so tired I fell asleep with my stuff still in my bed), and get all cleaned up.

I met up with Lesley Kay at check out time, we got ourselves ready: ATM because the nearest one is miles and miles away, food and rum because everything is expensive inside the park, goggle because Lesley forgot hers, and got ourselves to the bus stop just as the 4pm bus was pulling away.

Riding in a Colombian operated vehicle is always an experience, this driver was confused, thinking this massive bus was a sports car, ripping through corners and slamming on the brakes.  Also my legs were too big to sit facing forwards – stupid tiny Colombians.

We get dropped off at the entrance gate to Tayrona with just minutes to spare before the park was closed for the night.  We paid our 35 thousand, got our wristbands, and hurried in before the mosquitoes and darkness got us.

First view of the beach
It was a 3km hike from the trailhead to our beds (a hammock).  The start of the hike was very neat, saw home huge iguanas (white with a black striped tail), bats flying low enough I would duck to avoid getting hit in the face, and monkey in the trees.

Right as the sun was setting we got our first view of the ocean, and it as gorgeous.  A real beach!! and it was incredible looking.

From there though, the trail turned back into the jungle, where it quickly got very dark, and we had to walk the last 10 minutes with flashlights.  We were happy to see Arrifices and be done for the night.

Lesley Kay and I ate a few of our snacks from the market (pound cake, integral crackers, almonds) and drank rum and coke light.  We talked and got to know each other a bit better before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment